For the past 25 years, Marie Claire Australia has championed women and encouraged them to move fearlessly forward in the world. While there is still much work to do until we achieve true gender equality, there are game-changing individuals and companies who are ousting out-dated ideas and changing the status quo within their respective industries.
On June 19th, Marie Claire Australia hosted the “Marie Claire and Bumble Glass Ceiling Awards”, in partnership with Bumble and supported by Estée Lauder Companies, and Marie Claire Australia couldn’t be more excited to celebrate the inspiring women and businesses who are changing the game. Women have been fighting for equal rights, equal pay and equal respect in the workforce since the dawn of the patriarchy, and it was time to recognize and applaud the trailblazing women and game-changing companies who are smashing gender boundaries and paving the way for the next generation.
Thousands of man-hours go into creating this fabulous event, dubbed one of the highlight events on Sydney’s social calendar and over 150 inspiring women attended the first ever Glass Ceiling Awards. The judging panel was made up of high-profile “ceiling smashers” and business leaders, including former Prime Minister Julia Gillard, celebrated chef Kylie Kwong, fashion designer Camilla Franks, World Champion surfer Layne Beachley, Seven journalist Melissa Doyle, Business Chicks CEO Olivia Ruello, ABC host Virginia Trioli, Bumble’s Associate Marketing Director, APAC, Michelle Battersby and Estée Lauder Companies managing director Terry Little.
These Are The Winners Of The 2019 Glass Ceiling Awards, all of whom have smashed through boundaries to create lasting change for a better future:
1) Pay Equity Award – A company who has achieved gender pay equity within its ranks : Salesforce, Edweena Stratton and Irina Feldman
2) Majority Rules Award – A business where women make up the majority on the board or leadership team: The Iconic, Anna Lee and Erica Berchtold
3) Family-Friendly Award – A business dedicated to making the daily work/life/family juggle easier with flexible working hours or generous parental leave policies : AECOM, Lisa Cronk and Michael Jones
4) Social Conscience Award – A woman who’s paying it forward and making a difference to the world : Megan Etheridge OAM, Dress for Success
5) The Future Shaper Award – Next-gen thought-leaders revolutionising our future: Macinley Butson, Inventor and Jean Hinchliffe, Teenage activist
6) Mentor Award – A powerhouse woman who has supported and championed other women in her industry : Vicki Condon, Raise founder & CEO
7) Bumble Making Moves – Celebrating a trailblazing woman who is inspiring change : Christina Chun, 1Scope
8) The Ceiling Smasher Award – Celebrating an iconic woman who has paved the way for other women: Julia Gillard, Former Prime Minister